Wednesday 17 April 2013

UCAS Experience - Salford University Interview

Today I had my last university interview at the University of Salford. My interview was bright and early at 9AM. We were first all given a short talk about the course and the modules within the course, similarly to my other interviews I had attended. We were also shown a few short videos explaining the course and showing examples of current students' work. This is always a very interesting part of an interview as although I have previously done my research into the particular course, it really helps with helping decide whether I feel it is right for me. There were lots of elements of the course I really liked the sound of, and there is a lot of student and tutor communication. We were also told about a whole range of little events which the students organise, such as 'Speed Dating', where you're given the chance to sit down with a designer in the industry and talk through yourself and your portfolio in a short amount of time, a great way to organise placements and gain contacts within the industry.

After the talk we were then given a tour of the building whilst the tutors looked through our portfolios. Again, this is always important and really helps me decide if it is the right university for me. Once the tour was over each person was called for their interview.

My interview was a little different to what I expected as I had previously spoken to the lecturer who was interviewing me. I had been arranging entering at year 2 or 3 of the course, in order to top up my foundation degree. When I was called in he had actually already made his decision and offered me a place in either year 2 or 3, whichever I felt most comfortable entering at. The lecturer seemed quite keen to see my potential and see how I would cope entering straight into year 3. Although this is a great opportunity for myself,  I personally warmed to year 2 entry, so I would be able to settle into a new city, as well as have a whole extra year getting to know the area and hopefully organising placements and meeting new people.

I decided to firm this offer and now all I have to do is pass my foundation degree!

No comments:

Post a Comment