Friday 12 April 2013

The Point Design - Week 1


This week was my first week of my first ever work placement at The Point Design. Throughout the week I've actually learned a lot about working within the industry and it has been a really helpful insight and has been a really positive experience overall so far. My weekly tasks have been...

Monday 8th April
Today consisted of getting a feel for the agency in general and settling myself in. I had a brief meeting with Jane, the creative director, where she informed me about their main client The Factory Shop, and introduced me to a brief I would work on throughout my time at the placement. This brief was to design Point of Sale packs (A3 poster, header card, shelf-talker and arm-end) for different holidays throughout the year such as valentines day, christmas, fathers day etc. These were again for their main clients, The Factory Shop.

I was then asked to create some border designs for a mini-catalogue flyer for The Original Factory Shop. I produced a range of flower borders and autumn leaves and sent them to Jane before the end of the day.

Tuesday 9th April
Today I was introduced to a whole new programme, Quark. This is very similar to indesign and I was given a small 'lesson' on each of the different keyboard short cuts to make it easier for me to get to grips with the program. I also learned just how important and convenient it is to know all my short cuts, especially for use within the industry!

I also began work on the POS packs, I was asked to begin creating some designs for Valentines Day.

Wednesday 10th April
Today was spent continuing with my Valentines Day designs. As I was creating my designs Jane was consistently giving me feedback which was very helpful.

I was also asked to do some cut-outs for The Original Factory Shop's catalogue. This involved cutting out product images using a particular process for them  to be later placed in the catalogue.

Thursday 11th April
Today was spent learning how to create shelf-talkers for The Original Factory Shop. It was my first time using Quark properly and I soon got to grips with it due to its many similarities with InDesign. As I was new to this whole process it did take all day, however by the end I was significantly more comfortable with Quark and the particular design process of the shelf-talkers.

Friday 12th April
I was given the chance to contribute with a live brief that The Point had recived this morning from an upcoming fast food restaurant in Newcastle called 'Ninety Nine'. They had asked for their logo to be re-designed to have a modern, stylish, fresh and contemporary feel. I was given a deadline of the end of the day to produce some ideas to put forward. This was an exciting project to work on and I really enjoyed designing the logos.

So far I have enjoyed my week on placement and have already learned a whole new range of skills which I can continue to develop and apply to future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment